Gout is a type of arthritis, which is characterized by intense joint pain, and especially affects the joints near the big toe. The attacks usually occur during the night and are accompanied by swelling, heat in the area, and redness.
Gout can be a result of dehydration, infection, injury, excess alcohol intake, crash diet, sodas, etc., which lead to hyperuricemia, or the accumulation of uric acid in the blood.
The purine metabolism in the body naturally produces uric acid in the blood, which is then transported to the kidneys, and it eliminated through the urine.
Yet, if the levels of uric acid are elevated, the kidneys cannot process them properly, and it gets accumulated in the form of crystals around joints, causing gout.
Yet, there is a natural way to relieve gout. In the case of chronic gout, you should treat it with certain medications, but a healthy diet and lifestyle can help you relieve acute gout attacks.
First of all, these are the most common triggers of gout:
- Sudden, severe illness or surgery
- Joint injury
- Starting treatment for reducing uric acid
- Diuretic medications for edema, hypertension, or heart failure
- The drug cyclosporine
- Alcohol abuse
- Crash diets and fasting
- A diet rich in purine foods
- Sweet sodas
Therefore, you need to make the necessary changes in your diet and lifestyle to reduce the symptoms of gout. You should focus on fresh colorful fruits and vegetables, lean meat, seafood, and whole, unenriched, unprocessed grains.
To naturally reduce the uric acid crystals in the body, you should follow the tips below:
- Reduce the consumption of foods high in saturated fats from fatty poultry, high-fat dairy products, and red meats
- Limit your alcohol intake
- Reduce foods like white bread, cakes, and candy
- You should not drink sugar-sweetened beverages
- Avoid products that contain high fructose corn syrup
- Drink plenty of water, as well as sugar-free herbal teas and natural juices
- Limit the intake of proteins from fish, lean meat, and poultry to no more than 4 to 6 ounces
- Find a way to fight stress start walking in nature, try yoga and meditation, listening to music, etc.
- Optimize the levels of Vitamin C which is beneficial in the treatment of gout
Here are several natural tonics that can help you to fight gout:
- Drink a glass of lemon water every morning on an empty stomach to alkalize the body and prevent the formation of uric acid crystals
- Drink a glass of water with 1/2 a teaspoon of baking soda daily, since sodium bicarbonate is a potent prophylaxis candidate which lowers uric acid levels
- Every day, before your lunch and dinner, drink a glass of water with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, to alkalize the body, and eliminate uric acid from the body easily, with the help of the malic acid
You should increase the intake of the following foods:
- Devila��s Clawa��s extract a�� thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties proven by the University Hospital of Zurich
- Pineapple a�� It contains bromelain which offers strong analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties
- Grapes, berries, and cherries a�� These fruits are high in anthocyanidins and proanthocyanidins which have potent anti-inflammatory properties
- Flaxseed a�� Flaxseeds reduce serum uric acid, as found in a Federal Fluminense University lab test
- Turmeric a��curcumin acts as a powerful anti-inflammatory and supports the function of the kidneys
- Parsley a�� Parsley contains 2 of the 15 flavonoids which lower uric acid in the body, quercetin and kaempferol.
- To reduce the joint pain and swelling, apply cold and hot compresses on the painful area, affected by gout, for 15 minutes each for two to three hours.
- To soothe the pain and inflammation in the big toe, soak it in Epsom salt three or more times a week.
Moreover, the following remedy will help you reduce the levels of uric acid in the body:
- 1 cucumber
- A cup of pineapple chunks
- 1 grapefruit
- A 2-inch ginger root
You should blend all the ingredients, and drink this natural juice on a daily basis. Try following these tips and you will soon experience great improvements in the fight against gout!